I have a newfound respect for elementary math teachers. I was in a 4th grade math department meeting and the teachers were discussing line of symmetry. They learn about how to discover line of symmetry, how to know if a shape has a line of symmetry, how many lines of symmetry does a shape have. They do it all. Their question to me was if this concept was completely new to 4th graders and when it is seen again. This is completely new to 4th graders. And at the end of the school year on their state test, 4th graders (9 and 10 year olds) have to look at a picture on a computer screen and determine information about lines of symmetry. That can be quite cumbersome for some children because they have to actually have the shape in their hands and maneuver it to be able to determine that information. This similar issue is seen in other grades as well.
Well, after 4th grade, the concept of symmetry isn't seen again until 6th grade. Though not looking at lines of symmetry, students have to look at data and determine if it's symmetrical. 8th graders somewhat touch on symmetry when looking at data as well and with transformations of figures. I mean, very lightly discussed. Lines of symmetry aren't truly discussed again until algebra 1. Y'all, from 4th grade to algebra 1! Fourth grade really lays the foundation for lines of symmetry and students won't truly touch on it again until algebra 1. From 9 years old to 15. That's 6 years. Ha!
Anywho. I have learned SO much on this job. I've been in a lot of elementary classes to see how teachers interact with itty bitty kids. Y'all, they're so cute! But I'm slowly starting to be able to answer questions on the fly because I'm learning their standards. LOL! I don't have to say "Let me get back with you" all of the time. Sometimes, but not every time. Ha!
I understand the importance of students learning all of this "new math by Common Core." That darn Common Core. Haaa!! Please never say this to me because I will argue the importance of students learning concepts over algorithms ANY DAY because most adults have NO CLUE what they're doing when they borrow when subtracting or why the "normal" way to multiply even works. Y'all, they don't know! Trust me! I've asked them.
Back to the point of this post. If you know an elementary teacher, thank them! They should be a middle school teacher's BEST FRIEND! The way they teach concepts is mind-blowing! It's beautiful. I mean, I've gone in elementary schools and a lot of students will tell you that their favorite subject is math. It's because math is fun! They do hands-on activities. They discover mathematical principles. Go into a middle or high school. The answers are a lot different. Because students are sitting in rows and they never really truly interact with the mathematics they are learning. Are they even learning it? Or are they just regurgitating what they've been told. Do they even understand it? Whew!
Until next time,
-Ms. C.
No comments:
Post a Comment